Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Cabbage and Noodles

I'll be honest when Lisa told me we were having cabbage and noodles, my first thought was a very mature "yuck".  Yes, I still let a few ingredients influence how I think an entire dish might taste.  Cabbage...yeah it made me pause.  But very glad I kept an open mind and even more grateful for Lisa cooking it!

Lisa explains that this recipe was "floating around Facebook" with some positive reviews so she gave it a whirl.

Ingredients:
12 oz kielbasa or sausage, sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
¼ cup salted butter
1 large onion, diced
½ head cabbage, chopped (appox 6-7 cups)
1 clove garlic, minced
⅔ cup frozen peas
8 oz uncooked egg noodles
salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

Instructions:
1. Cook noodles according to package directions, drain and set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Cook sausage until lightly browned.
3. Add remaining olive oil, butter and onion.  Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
4. Add cabbage and garlic. Cook until tender (10-15 minutes). Stir in peas, noodles and salt & pepper.  Cook 2-3 minutes or until heated through.

That's it!  Pretty simple.  About 40 minutes between prep and cook time.
I grabbed that picture right before Lisa added the peas.   If I closed my eyes when I ate, I would have never known cabbage was used.  It added a nice texture but the kielbasa and peas were the real show in this dish.  And because of that, the girls loved it.  They picked around the onions because they "don't like the taste".  😒

But Lisa and I loved it.  I think we all went back for an extra serving so between the 4 of us, we actually polished it off!

No comments:

Post a Comment